Dear IB Colleagues,
Congratulations to everyone for the many remarkable things you have done within your IB Programmes this year in order to create learning environments that enrich the skills and inspire the hearts of your students.
It has been a joy for me to work with the CAWS Board and directly with so many IB educators this year as your CAWS Executive Director. I have loved the quality and value that IB brings to learning, thinking and teaching since it was thrust upon me as a skeptical biology teacher. To be in a position that supports educators that embrace the challenges of reaching and inspiring all students is thrilling. As we continue to share educational victories and face challenges as a collaborative IB community, I am often reminded that a network is stronger than any individual. I cannot imagine a better group of people to work with. I appreciate your emails, conversations, and the enthusiasm we share in providing the richness inherent to the academic, social, and emotional education IB creates for students.
As the finish line for this school year races towards us, I would like to share a few CAWS highlights with you:
- CAWS hosted the largest IB Global Conference on record in San Diego during July, 2018. Rumor has it that it that the Global Conference will return to San Diego within five years.
- Our Fall Forum and Spring Seminar set records for attendance with presenters representing IB Americas, CDE, and California IB teachers and administrators. Save the dates: Fall Forum, Oct. 28, 2019 San Diego and March 2, 2020 in Sacramento.
- Three Roundtables were hosted by IB Educators in Sacramento, San Jose, and San Diego. Contact me now if you are interested in hosting a Roundtable in your area.
- CAWS awarded $35,500 in Scholarships this year to students and educators at CAWS Member School Membership for 2019-2020 opens on our website in August 2019.
- CAWS Student of the Year Awards were distributed to students selected by their schools for 2018-2019. Join CAWS, select a student, and give a 2020 SOTY Award equal to your membership fee next spring!
Support and Advocacy
- Collaboration with Phil Evans, IB Development Specialist, during his Education by Design presentations in California created a positive and growing network between IB educators throughout our state. We look forward to continuing our work with Phil as the number of IB schools within California increases.
- Capitol Advisors, LLC continues to serve as advocates for CAWS and your IB Programmes to the state legislature, California Department of Education, and a variety of professional organizations in order to maintain and expand policies that support all levels of IB in California.
- Thank you to the DP/CP educators who participated in our first CAWS/IB survey regarding the integration of NGSS standards within IB Group 4 subjects. Bob Poole, Regional Development Specialist, IBO also extends his thanks to those individuals who assisted with his collection of data by answering this survey.
- CAWS University Liaison, Dot Battenfeld and several DP teachers submitted six courses for UC approval May 31, 2019. We expect UC to inform CAWS of the status of these courses within two months. Additional courses will be submitted during the summer. Look for an email over the summer with an update on all courses submitted. If you are interested in working on a course for submission contact me.
- New discounts and additional support materials were given to schools participating at our Fall Seminar and Spring Forum. Expect other special offers for CAWS member schools from IB vendors during the coming months.
- ·CAWS rebranding and the updating of our website will be completed this June.
- California offers the largest number – 241 - of IB Programmes in the United States. Sixty-three additional schools were in IB candidacy this year. This impressive number marks over a 230% increase for all programmes over the past decade!
- Fun Fact: 10,217 California DP/CP candidates registered for 26,099 exams during May 2019.
Upcoming Summer Activities –
- CAWS Teacher Training at Granlibakken, Lake Tahoe. DP training, June 25-28 and MYP/PYP June 28-July 1, 2019. CAWS Teacher Training 2019
- Your CAWS president and I will attend and actively participate in the IB Americas Association Meeting, July 17, 2019. At this time heads of Associations throughout the Americas meet with IB staff who create and modify policies for all IBO Programmes. If you have specific concerns or positive feedback you would like me to share, please email me by July 8th.
- The CAWS board will meet during August to complete strategic planning and set goals for the next three years.
This academic year has been exceptionally positive for CAWS and the schools we serve. Thank you for the leadership you have provided to your students, their parents and your staff through the diverse roles you fill. Please plan on attending our events, communicating with me, and participating actively within CAWS and your local and regional IB communities. Together, we will continue to make California the #1 region in the Americas for the International Baccalaureate, (fifth largest region in the world) and a place that respects and uplifts all of our students.
I hope that you each close your academic year with a sense of accomplishment. Enjoy a well-deserved summer break that offers you the opportunities you seek as life-long learners.
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader.” John Quincy Adams