Events & News » Update from Michael Winsatt, CAWS President, Mar. 23, 2020

Update from Michael Winsatt, CAWS President, Mar. 23, 2020

Dear CAWS colleagues,
As we all begin to navigate the unchartered waters of these unprecedented times, I want you to know that CAWS is here to support all of California's IB schools and programs. We will continue to disseminate information as it becomes available, advocate on your behalf both with the state and IB, and be an immediate resource when you have questions or need answers. Supporting California's IB schools is our primary purpose. Please contact any of your CAWS board members or our executive director, Robin Oliver, if and when you need our assistance.
Your inboxes have been flooded with emails pertaining to ways that different companies, vendors and other stakeholders offer services during the mandated shelter in place. How are we different? We're an organization run by people just like you. We're a group of coordinators and administrators facing the same extraordinary challenges you're experiencing. If you haven't yet heard, IB has extended their IA and MYP electronic submission deadlines and have cancelled the May DP course examinations. Information will become clearer in the coming weeks about how students will be awarded credit for their courses. We're here to disseminate that information for you as it becomes available and as it pertains to California schools and universities specifically. 
One way CAWS traditionally supports California's schools is through our annual workshops at Granlibakken. At this point we are continuing to offer those workshops since they are held at the end of June and into early July. While lots of contradictory information travels around the internet about the length of this shelter in place, we have to wait a month to make any final decisions. At some point this crisis will pass, yet our annual school needs for training will continue. We will immediately update all of our members if changes occur to our scheduled Granlibakken workshops.
I would like to host a virtual roundtable for DP, CP and MYP coordinators the week of March 30th to share strategies for supporting our member IB schools, students and communities. I'm looking to use Zoom, Google Hangouts or another platform to host this event. Obviously there are lots of considerations to weigh, from the cancellation of the May examinations, completing IA assessments, IB grade awarding, CAS requirements and sharing strategies for moving forward. If you are interested in participating, please complete our survey here: CAWS Virtual Roundtable Survey
As challenging as these times are, I know together we will pull through the crisis caused by this pandemic. We all share a core belief in the power an IB education can provide California's students. Rest assured CAWS will be here to support you and your schools. Let us know how we can help.
Stay well and be safe,
Michael Winsatt
President, California Association of IB World Schools